Implant-support dentures are one of the most significant innovations in modern dentistry. These prosthetics combine dental implants – which are one of the more expensive prosthetics installed by dentists – with dentures, which are one of the cheapest tooth replacement options. The price gap between dentures and implants is so large, the cost of replacing…
Implant Supported Dentures: Everything You Need to Know
When it comes to replacing missing teeth, implant supported dentures are one of the best options. These devices give patients many of the benefits associated with implants while incorporating the affordability of dentures.
Dentures are the most economical way to replace missing teeth, notably when the person is missing the majority of his or her real chompers. However, traditional dentures come with lots of disadvantages. Some of them include:
- The device is continuously shifting in the patient's mouth
- Can lead to mouth sores
- Often involves the use of dental adhesives
- Eating and talking with dentures can be quite difficult
- There is always a risk of the prosthetic falling out
- Dentures have to be taken out at night, cleaned and soaked in denture solution overnight
With so many disadvantages, it is not much of surprise that dental implants are quickly becoming the go-to option when it comes to replacing missing teeth. Implants come with many advantages like:
- Implants help to prevent jawbone tissue loss since it mimics the behavior of natural teeth and their roots
- Taking care of implants is no different from cleaning natural teeth
- There is no adjustment period with implants
- Implants can last an entire lifetime with good oral hygiene
- Implants prevent natural teeth from shifting
- Implants look and feel natural in the patient's mouth
The one downside of implants is the fact they can be pricey – especially when compared to dentures. For example, the cost of replacing one or two missing teeth with implants can exceed the value of getting a full set of dentures.
Fortunately, dentists now have a way to give their patients the best of both worlds.
Implant-supported dentures are the lovechild of dentures and implants. These devices combine these two modern prosthetics.
During the installation of these dentures, an oral surgeon will surgically attach four to six implants, typically titanium screws, into the patient's jawbone. The screws are then given time to fuse with the patient's jawbone tissue properly. This usually takes anywhere between three to six months. This procedure is known as osseointegration.
Once the implants are firmly joined to the patient's jawbone, a unique set of dentures is attached to them. Once inserted, these dentures cannot be removed without the assistance of a dentist. That is the massive difference between dentures supported by implants and the traditional ones. These devices have many advantages like:
- It helps to prevent bone tissue loss since the implants are stimulating the patient's gums
- It feels and looks natural in the patient's mouth
- There is no adjustment period with these prosthetics
- Taking care of this type of dentures is no different from taking care of real teeth
- The patient can go back to enjoying his/her favorite foods
Unfortunately, not everyone qualifies for dentures supported by implants. Before installation, the dentist will verify that the patient has enough healthy jawbone tissue for the procedure. Bone grafting or artificial bone tissue is sometimes used when the patient does not have the adequate bone tissue.
Wondering if you qualify for these fantastic dental prosthetics? Schedule an appointment with one of our dentists today!
Request an appointment in our San Antonio dentist office here: https://www.preferreddentalcenter.com.
In need of a full mouth rehabilitation and bar retained implant supported dentures is one of your options? Firstly, good for you for taking the steps necessary so you can once again be in good oral health. The longer you wait, the more difficult the process will be when it comes to a full mouth…
Implant supported denture care is one of the leading selling points when it comes to these hybrid dental prosthetics. Just as it is essential to take care of natural teeth to keep them healthy, the same goes for implant supported dentures. These devices must also be cleaned regularly to get the most out of them.A…
Implant supported dentures make life a lot easier when you find yourself missing a majority of your natural teeth. The transition to dental prosthetics like dentures can be an unnerving experience for many people.It really should be not that way though. Getting missing teeth replaced with a prosthetic makes it possible for the patient to…